April 15, 2021

Top 5 Wednesday: Incorrect Ratings

Hey there bookworms,

to be fair, this post should be called "Top 5 Thursday" because I'm late. But I liked the topic so much I still wanted to post something! Incorrect Ratings is about books I've rated way higher of lower than the average goodreads rating. I chose to stick with books I rated lower because it just seemed easier. T5W is a weekly book blogging meme currently hosted by Alex (The Scribe Owl) in the official goodreads group!

1. Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi

Average: 4.10 | My rating: 2

The first one's probably quite the shocker. While I liked the African inspired world and mythology, I thought the plot was cliche ya fantasy and I found myself quite bored. I also didn't care about the characters.

2. Unwind by Neal Shusterman

Average: 4.16 | My rating: 2

It's been a couple of years since I read this and everyone on booktube seemed to love it, but I didn't. I couldn't get into the writing style and I didn't particulary like any of the characters. It wasn't what I'd expected.

3. A Reaper at the Gates by Sabaa Tahir

Average: 4.23 | My rating: 2.5

While I loved the first two books in the series, it was a pain to get through this one. The plot took a really unexpected direction that I didn't like and didn't care for. The only thing that made me give this book at least 2.5 stars was Helena, I really liked her chapters.

4. Record of a Spaceborn Few by Becky Chambers

 
 
Average: 4.11 | My rating: 2

Again with this series, I loved the first two books. But this one felt super disjointed, nothing really was happening except for characters I didn't care for living their lives. It was unfortunately really boring.

5. A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J Maas
 

 Average: 4.61 | My rating: 3
 
I saved this unpopular opinion for last. I didn't think ACOMAF was bad, I just think it's severely overhyped. I like Sarah J Maas' writing and world building a lot, but I thought this book was just average fantasy and I didn't like either Feyre or Rhysand.
 

And that's it! These are 5 books with a pretty high rating on goodreads that fell flat for me. Do you agree/disagree? What are some books you liked or didn't like despite the contrary average rating? Happy reading and until next time,
 
~ Anni

No comments:

Post a Comment