March 18, 2021

First Book Haul of 2021


Hey there bookworms,

I've been thinking about what other kinds of posts I could write on here, and then it hit me: Book Hauls! I haven't done one of these yet and since I already got a couple of new books since the year started, it's the perfect time to start with it. Here are all the books I bought since 2021 began!

I ordered five books from a German website that seels used books for sometimes very cheap prices and I got some great deals there. Two of these books I'd actually read already some years ago and just wanted for my collection, so let's start with these!

1. Insurgent by Veronica Roth


This was the only book in the trilogy that was still missing in my collection, and I got this beautiful purple edition that matches the edition of the first book I have! Insurgent is actually my favorite in the trilogy so I'm glad I finally own it!






 

2. The 100 by Kass Morgan


The 100 is my favorite tv show, and I've read all the books already too (there are four of them), but I just needed at least the first one on my shelves. I'm sure I'm gonna reread it one day, and my dream is to get it signed by at least one or two of the actors at a convention some day!






The other books I got are new ones that I haven't read yet. Who knows when I'll get to them, but I just couldn't say no - you know how it is...

3. Grimspace by Ann Aguirre


This is a sci-fi novel about a character named Sirantha Jax who has the ability to jump spaceships through grimspace. After she loses her memory after a crash, she gets freed from prison by a group of rogues who want her to help them overthrow the empire...

It sounds fast-paced, it sounds kickass, it sounds fun, and I'm excited to read it!





4. Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson

Ever since I read Skyward, I wanted to read more of Sanderson's books, and even though he's mostly known for his fantasy, I decided to get Steelheart, a ya sci-fi/superhero novel. It's about David, whose father has been killed by Steelheart - an Epic, a human with superhuman powers. Now, David wants revenge, and he's planning to join the Reckoners, ordinary humans who fight the Epics. And David is the only one who has seen Steelheart bleed...

I've been on a superhero trip lately, and such a story written by Brandon Sanderson can only be good (I hope)!


5. Contagion by Erin Bowman

This is a ya sci-fi with what I think will be horror elements. A spaceship crew receives an SOS call from another crew on a distant planet. When they get there, all they find are discarded weapons and dead bodies...

This one sounds positively creepy, and since I read and loved Sanctuary, another sci-fi/horror novel, I'm hoping I'll love Contagion too!





These are all the books I ordered online. I've also been to the bookstore some days ago and of course couldn't leave without buying more new books, so here are those!

6. The Quiet at the End of the World by Lauren James


Let's be honest, this one was - at least partly - a cover buy. It's a sci-fi novel about Lowrie and Shen who are the youngest people left in society after humanity became infertile after a global virus. Once a terrible secret surfaces, they have to decide how far they're willing to go to save humanity. 

I've seen reviewers describe this as a positive, almost contemporary sci-fi, which is not something I usually read, but I really wanted to give this book a try!


 

 

7. Admission by Barry Jonsberg

A ya sci-fi/post-apocalyptic novel (because I can't seem to let go of that genre) about a girl called Pandora Stone who wakes up in an infirmary after surviving a global pandemic. Now, she's being trained in survival techniques at a special school. But what is really going on outside this school? 

I bought this one in German (on the right) and honestly, all I want from this is some old school ya survival story, maybe with a hint of dystopia, who knows...

 7. Avengers World by Jonathan Hickman

My first Marvel comic that I got in print! This is the start of a new Avengers series that includes the first six issues. I haven't read up to this point in the universe yet, so this one will have to wait a while, but I'm really excited because I think comics are best read in physical format :D







These are all the books I got since the year began. I think I might have to put myself on a book buying ban again... Have you read any of these? Happy reading and until next time,

~ Anni

No comments:

Post a Comment