March 24, 2021

Top 5 Wednesday: Well That Dragged

Hey there bookworms,

today's T5W topic is about books that dragged - be it because the pacing was off or because it just took me too long to read them for another reason, or simply books that went on longer than necessary. T5W is a weekly book blogging meme currently hosted by Alex (The Scribe Owl) in the official goodreads group!

There are a couple of well loved, popular books on my list, but as always, this is just my personal opinion and experience!

1. Red Rising by Pierce Brown


 
I liked the idea of this a lot, but I felt like for the entire middle part, this book was going nowhere. It's not like nothing happened - in fact, a lot was going on - but it was just the same things happening over and over again. So while the pacing was fast, I was constantly waiting for something to drive the story forward.

2. The Host by Stephenie Meyer

It took me several months to get through this, and I was close to giving up. The pacing of this book was just so incredibly slow, and the German edition of the book has over 1000 pages - a very bad combination. So to say it dragged is an understatement.

3. Lady Midnight by Cassandra Clare

Please don't hate me! I absolutely love the Shadowhunter world and ultimately, I really enjoyed Lady Midnight - I just thought it was too long. Had it been a hundred pages shorter I would have enjoyed it even more! (Same goes for some other of Cassie's books, like City of Glass, or even Clockwork Princess dragged a little at some points for me.)

4. The Martian by Andy Weir

I did not finish this one. I found the writing style to be extremely descriptive, with a lot of science-y stuff I didn't understand, which led to me getting bored quickly. I know many people loved this book, but I gave it about 150 pages and still felt like I was wasting my time and the story didn't get going. I might watch the movie one day though.

5. Carve The Mark by Veronica Roth

I didn't really get this book. Plus, the writing style with the switching between different tenses for different POVs made it extremely hard for me to follow the flow of the story. I found it boring and dragging, even though I really enjoyed the author's Divergent trilogy.


Those are five books I found quite dragging and that took me a while to get into or finish at all. How about you? These are some quite popular books - did you feel the same about them, or did you love them? Happy reading and until next time,

~ Anni

2 comments:

  1. What you didnt like about The Martian, it what I liked about it, hahaha. all that mathematics and science jargon was right up my alley, but yeah a lot of people do not jive with that. The movie is really good though, and doesnt have a lot of that, and where there its heavy on the science it does a pretty good job of adapting the language for a non-stem audience, and its really accurate to the book, definetly would recommend the movie, but also biased because its one of my favourites. The book and the movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wanted to like the Martian and I was actually a bit sad it didn't work for me because usually I don't mind a bit of science stuff in scifi, but it was just too much for me. Thanks for telling me about the movie, I might have to look into that at some point!

      Delete