September 30, 2020

Top 5 Wednesday: Autumn Vibes

Hey there bookworms and blessed fall season! 

The equinox was last week so Gabriela from the official T5W goodreads group took this opportunity for today's topic. I'm in the Northern hemisphere, so I will be writing about 5 books that give off autumn vibes! I can't even explain what I'm looking for in an autumn read, I guess I went for an overall magical (and maybe cozy) feeling. Happy reading!

 

1. The Diviners by Libba Bray

Even though it's been quite some years since I read this and I wasn't even blown away by it I wanted to include this book. We travel to New York in the golden 20s and meet young Evie who has a supernatural gift and soon gets wrapped up in a murder mystery. This book gives off very strong witchy vibes so I think it's the perfect candidate for an autumn read! On the right you see the German cover which is absolutely gorgeous and perfectly matches the theme of the book, so I just had to include it here!

 

2. Caraval by Stephanie Garber

This first book in a ya fantasy trilogy gives me fall vibes for some reason too. It's magical, mysterious and sometimes a little creepy. Nothing is as it seems here and the borders between reality and performance blur very quickly as the characters get sucked deeper into the magical, circus-like game of Caraval...





3. The Language of Thorns by Leigh Bardugo

I wanted to inlcude at least one story collection for this prompt, and this is it. This book is a collection of fairy tales and myths from the Grishaverse. They are, as the subtitle says, full of dangerous magic, and therefore perfect for a rainy autumn evening. Light some candles, wrap yourself into a blanket and enter the dark and mysterious woods of Ravka and beyond. Plus, the illustrations are amazing - this is really like a book of fairytales!

 

 

 

4. Nimona by Noelle Stevenson

This is a graphic novel about a young shapeshifter who wants to become a villain's sidekick simply because she likes the fun of villainy. Fun? Yes, this book definitely is fun, and the illustrations are super cute! I don't know why this is giving me slight fall vibes, but it does. It's certainly a fast and entertaining read for a grey autumn day best spent in bed/on the couch!



 

5. Sky In The Deep by Adrienne Young

Yes, this was mostly a cover buy. This is a viking inspired ya fantasy about young Eelyn who one day sees her dead brother (or so she thought) fighting for and with the enemy clan. I'm a fan of everything medieval, mythology and lately also viking inspired, and the tv show Vikings is one I like to watch during fall season, preferably with a cup of tea and lots of candles. This book gives off similar vibes, so I included it in today's post!




These were 5 books that remind me of autumn for some reason. Even though I hate rain and dislike the fact that it gets dark so quickly again now I generally like this season and I look forward to getting cozy with a tv show or a good book, to candles, fairy lights and hot tea and to wearing my wool cape that I bought at a medieval festival last year. How about you? Do you like fall? And have you read any of these books? Happy reading and until next time,

~ Anni

2 comments:

  1. i haven't read the diviners but from the way everyone talks about it, i really feel like it does have such autumn vibe. maybe it's one i should pick up when it's autumn in melbourne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's cool, and if you like witchy stuff and a good murder mystery you should try it!

      Delete