August 28, 2020

August Wrap Up

 

Hey there bookworms!
August is almost over and I decided I'd like to post monthly reading wrap ups on my blog. I'm already keeping a handwritten reading journal and of course I'm adding my books on goodreads, but blogging about it will hopefully be a fun way for me to once again remember all the books I've read in each past month! So without further ado, here's my August 2020 reading wrap up!

 

August was a great reading month for me, I read 9 books which is quite a lot! On the other hand, more than half of these were comics that I read in one sitting each, but  I'm shamelessly counting these into my reading challenge too.

1. Undying 

Authors: Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner
Series:
Unearthed #2
My rating:
★★★★☆

The conclusion in this ya sci-fi duology was a very fun and quick read. These books are about teens Mia and Jules who are sent to scavenge and study ancient alien temples full of riddles and mysteries on another planet. This second book takes them back to Earth, now guarding a secret they never thought possible in the beginning, ultimately trying to save their planet. Read my full review on goodreads!


2. Wonder Woman: War Torn

Author: Meredith Finch
Artist: David Finch
Series: Wonder Woman (2011) Vol. 7
My rating: ★★★½☆☆

Read in German. Even though this is the 7th volume in the series, it was easy to read on its own because this is the volume where the Finchs take over this series. I neither loved nor hated it; the art was amazing though! Find my short review on goodreads!



3. The Fandom

Author: Anna Day
Series: The Fandom #1
My rating: ★★★★☆

Read in German. Violet and her friends are massive fans of the book and movie "The Gallows Dance". When they attend Comic Con, they mysteriously get transported to the very world of this fictional story which is actually a horrifying dystopia. They must take part in the story and finish the plot to return back home, but they might actually die while trapped in there. Find my full review on goodreads!


4. Black Widow: The Tightly Tangled Web &

5. Black Widow: Last Days 

Author: Nathan Edmondson
Artist: Phil Noto
Series: Black Widow (2014) Vol. 2 & 3
My ratings: both ★★★★☆

Read in German. A three-part Black Widow comic series that dives into the sins of Natasha Romanoff's past and connects them to her present. Read my review for the full series here!


6. Yesterday's X-Men

Author: Brian Michael Bendis
Artist: Stuart Immonen
Series: All-New X-Men (2012) Vol. 1
My rating: ★★★★☆

Read in German. The original five X-Men are brought from the past to the present to prevent a future in which Cyclops has turned bad and is now fighting alongside Magneto. My first X-Men comic ever! Find my short review on goodreads.


 

7.The Hobbit

Author: J.R.R. Tolkien
Series: /
My rating:
★★★½☆☆

The hobbit Bilbo goes on a magical adventure with the wizard Gandalf and twelve dwarves to retrieve a treasure that is guarded by a dragon inside a mountain. The prequel to The Lord of the Rings. See my full review here!



8. The Yellow Wallpaper (1892)

Author: Charlotte Perkins Gilman

A short story I read, analyzed and wrote a paper on for my American Literature university class. This story counts as an early feminist work and is about a woman who feels trapped in her marriage and slowly descents into madness while she is being kept in her bedroom by her husband who believes she will get better only if she stays in bed and doesn't occupy herself with any work. Yes, I'm shamelessly counting this into my reading challenge. I spent a lot of time with that story after all!

 9. Life Hack - Dein Leben gehört mir

Author: June Perry
Series: /
My rating: ★★★★☆

A German ya sci-fi novel about a highly developed Artificial Intelligence that wants to be human. It one day loads itself into a human android body and slowly starts to take over the life of the main character Ellie. A very interesting book that deals with many questions and issues around technology and the human body vs soul! Find my German review here.



These are all the books (and other things) I read in August, and I'm quite happy with it! Some days ago I also started reading The Host by Stephenie Meyer which has been on my tbr forever, but my copy has over 800 pages and I definitely won't finish it until the end of the month. How many books did you read? Which one was your favorite book of the month? I wish you all a happy September full of more good books! Until next time,
~ Anni

No comments:

Post a Comment