August 5, 2020

Top 5 Wednesday: Air & Rail Transport




Hey there bookworms,
in today's T5W post I'm gonna talk about books that feature air and/or rail transport. T5W is hosted by the official goodreads group, and Gabriela (YouTube: Violet Hawthorne) is giving us the topics! I may have cheated a little with this topic, but you'll see that when you get there!


1. The Unearthed duology by Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner
This ya science fiction duology (book 1: Unearthed, book 2: Undying) feautures both: In the first book, the main characters go on a scavenging mission on an alien planet, therefore traveling by spacecraft, and in the second book they travel through some European countries by train! And yes, it's all connected, even though it may not sound like it right now...

2. The Divergent trilogy by Veronica Roth
This one's quite popular, but I wanted to name it anyway. In this trilogy, the faction of the Dauntless travels by jumping on and off trains. In fact, jumping onto a moving train is the very first initiation ritual Tris has to participate in after she joined Dauntless.

3. Harry Potter by
J.K. Rowling
Another blatantly obvious choice, but who hasn't thought of the magical Hogwarts Express when it comes to railway travel? Not only is that train a constant throughout the entire series, but you can even step inside one of the carriages in the Warner Bros Studio Tour near London or go on a train ride on the exact same route used in the movies in Scotland! I did that on vacation in 2016 where I clicked the pic, it was amazing and they're even selling some HP merch on the train.

4. Skyward by Brandon Sanderson
Not technically air travel, but a huge part of this book is about the main character and her friends being in flight school and learning how to fly starfighters. When I think of flying in books, this comes to my mind first because it's so well written - you really get the impression of being in the cockpit with Spensa.

5. ???
I tried, I really tried, but I didn't come up with a fifth book for this prompt... unless I'll just say The Hunger Games, which features both the Capitol's high tech trains and hovercrafts... and which is another extremely popular and obvious choice and also happens to be my favorite trilogy ever. Deal with me :p

This week's topic was actually a bit hard for me, but it was interesting to think about, and I'm excited to read everyone's posts! Until next time,
~ Anni

2 comments:

  1. The Hogwarts Express and the Divergent train are also the first ones popped up in my mind when I think about this topic. And I remember the train ride in THG movies, but I didn't remember whether it's there or not in the books 😂

    Tasya // THE LITERARY HUNTRESS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew I couldn't have been the only one! And yes, the train rides in the THG books were pretty much the same as in the movies ;) Thanks for your comment!
      - Anni

      Delete