July 15, 2020

Top 5 Wednesday: Bookish Songs



Hey there bookworms,
it's Wednesday again and that means I'm here with another Top 5 Wednesday post! T5W is hosted by the official goodreads group over here :)
Today's topic is Songs that remind you of books, so I'll explain why a specific song reminds me of a certain book. 


1. Empires by Ruelle - Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas
Ruelle is one of my favorite singers, and many of her songs remind me of both books and tv shows. Her songs were also feautured on shows such as Shadowhunters or in many movie and tv show trailers. The song Empires specifically reminds me of the Throne of Glass series, because apart from the title being a direct reference to book 5 - Empire of Storms - the lyrics are a great fit and the song creates a great fantasy atmosphere.

2. Castle by Halsey - The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins
It's the lyrics again - they just reminded me of my favorite trilogy, especially of the power play between President Snow and Katniss. I'm headed straight for the castle/They wanna make me their queen is a perfect fit for Katniss becoming the face of the rebellion, and But there's an old man sitting on the throne/That's saying that I probably shouldn't be so mean is a perfect reference to Snow himself.


3. Eyes Wide Open by Beth Crowley - The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare
Beth Crowley is a very special singer because many of her songs are actually based on well known ya books, which is seriously amazing. This particular song is actually based on another book, but I feel like it would be perfect for the Mortal Instruments series. I can imagine Clary singing this song in City of Bones when she first discovers the shadowhunter world with its magic and its dangers. And, not gonna lie, listening to this makes me feel like a newly initiated shadowhunter myself ;)

4. Revolution by The Score - Red Queen series by Victoria Aveyard
This is another of my favorite artists - a duo to be exact. I love almost all of their songs! Revolution reminds me of the dystopian Red Queen series which is about a society divided by the color of your blood. I was listening to this song and staring at my bookshelves when suddenly it hit me how perfect a fit these two are!



5. Take It All by Ruelle - The Walking Dead
I'm cheating a little with this one, but it's too perfect not to mention, and it's also one of my favorite songs by Ruelle. Take It All was feautured in the season 7 trailer of The Walking Dead. But even if they weren't connected already the song would remind me of TWD (and I'm totally counting this in since the show is based on a series of graphic novels)! The dark atmosphere of the music is perfect for a zombie apocalypse. All of the lyrics are a perfect fit, but worth a mention are the lines This winter breath/Taste of death/Where iron meets flesh/We'll take it all. Listen to this song in the dark with your eyes closed - or don't, because you might feel like you're stuck in the zombie apocalypse yourself.

That's it for today! Do you know any of these songs and/or artists? Do you listen to music while reading? I sometimes do, but mostly to intrumental music such as film scores because I get easily distracted otherwise and end up singing instead of reading ;)

Happy reading and until next time!
~ Anni

3 comments:

  1. the lyrics for castle really do fit well with thg, and ruelle really does have a really atmospheric sound. found some new music!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you agree, and that's great! Discovering new music is fun!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for introducing me to Ruelle! I love this list <3

    ReplyDelete