July 15, 2020

Review: An Anonymous Girl

General Information
Title: An Anonymous Girl
Authors:
Greek Hendricks & Sarah Pekkanen
Pages:
375
Publisher: St. Martin's Publishing Group
ISBN: 9781250133731
My rating: ★★★☆☆

I've set myself a personal reading challenge this year: to read more books out of my comfort zone. This was one of these books. I'm not quite sure what to think of it.

 

An Anonymous Girl is a thriller about Jessica, a young woman who participates in a study series about moral and ethics. But soon it turns out to be much more than that and Jessica becomes entangled in a web of lies and a game of cat and mouse.

The topic of the book seemed quite interesting. I find ethics super interesting and I love to discuss ethical questions. But I never expected the book to take the direction it did and I'm not sure if I liked that direction. Without giving away too much, let's just say I would've liked it better had it been more about moral and ethics in general than relationship drama.

The writing style was 50/50. We have alternating POVs: one from Jessica, which is written in 1st person and reads very fluently, and another POV I'm not gonna name that's written in 2nd person. This is something I never encountered in a book before and it was weird. I can see why the authors chose this style and the further the story progressed, the more sense it made, but I never completely warmed up to it. These chapters often had a passive voice that made it impossible for me to feel like I'm actively participating in the book, and I honestly didn't like that.

The plot itself was very well thought out and the layers of the story were revealed piece by piece. Sometimes it was a bit too slow for my liking though and especially during the middle part I found myself slightly bored at times.

The last 100 pages or so were really good though. They finally made me feel things and made me become really mad at a certain character. Seriously, how sick can one be?! The personality of said character was so messed up yet well written.
Also, I had no idea how the book would end, so probs to the authors for surprising me!

All in all this was an entertaining read, even though I expected something different. I'm willing to give some other thrillers a go, but I feel like I'm a very picky reader with this genre. I'd recommend this to people who are interested in psychology and don't mind relationship drama.

No comments:

Post a Comment