November 4, 2020

T5W: Read in Translation


Hey there everyone,
today's T5W topic is Read in Translation, meaning I'll talk about books that I haven't read in their original language. Since I'm German, this is relatively easy for me. I decided to go with really popular books, and I'll be comparing covers for this prompt too. T5W is a weekly book blogging meme hosted by the official goodreads group, and today's topic came from Meira!

1. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

I've read the whole trilogy 4 times already, but the first time I read them in German. The translation is titled "The Tributes of Panem", and the first book is subtitled "Deadly Games"!

I'm not really a fan of the German cover, although it definitely stands out. They kept the design for the other books, only the color scheme changes.

 2. Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling

I was already 14 when I finally started to read this series - it never interested me before because I didn't like the German covers at all, and the idea of a wizarding school sounded kinda ridiculous to me. Well, let's be real, the original cover isn't better in my opinion. I'm so glad I listened to my Mum and read Harry Potter though! I've read the first 4 books in the series in English too by now.

3. Legend by Marie Lu

One of my all time favorite trilogies - and another book that took me too long to read. The German synopsis makes it sound very romance heavy which put me off for a long time.

I love the German cover though! It's simple and elegant. The German subtitle of book 1 is "Falling Sky". I've read the first book in both German and English.

4. Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

When this series was published in Germany, everyone in my class was reading it, so of course I was curious. I don't have much to say about the covers; they're both okay.

I love what they did with the German title though: it's called "Bis(s) zum Morgengrauen" which translates to both "Until Dawn" (Bis = until) and "Bite at Dawn" (Biss = bite). One small letter changes the entire meaning. It's pretty genius!

5. Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

I'm a sucker for the German covers. I'm usually not a fan of faces on covers, but these are an exception. They're so well composed, and I love the font and all the details.

Here, they kept the titles for each book, but renamed the series. It's called "Between the Worlds" in German. I've only ever read this trilogy in German.


These are 5 popular ya books I've read in German (at least when I first read them). Do you read in another language than English? And what do you think about cover and/or title changes? Happy reading and until next time,

~ Anni

4 comments:

  1. the german cover of Twilight is so much nicer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually I think original covers are nicer, so thanks haha :D

      Delete
  2. I also think the Twilight cover is really nice, though off in the time period. Hebrew has the exact same covers for The Hunger Games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's crazy with the Thg covers, but really cool! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete