August 12, 2020

Top 5 Wednesday: Children's Fiction

 

Hey there bookworms,

today's topic of T5W is Children's Fiction, so I'll be writing about five books (or book series) that I read a a child or that are intended for children. T5W is a weekly book blogging meme hosted by the official goodreads group, and Gabriela (Violet Hawthorne on YouTube) is giving us the topics at the moment!

 

1. Heartland Series by Lauren Brooke

This is a horse book series I absolutely loved as a child and early teen. There's also a tv adaptation (that's where the gif is from). The series follows Amy Fleming who lives with her family on a horse farm where they take care of horses that have been abused. Then, Amy's mother dies in a car crash and Amy's world is turned upside down. She has to face the challenges of running the farm with the help of her grandfather and her best friend Ty. I loved this series because apart from the exciting, beautiful and sometimes also heartbreakingly sad stories, you can learn a lot about horses!

2. Emily Windsnap Series by Liz Kessler 

This children's series is about a girl named Emily who lives with her mum on a boat in a small harbour town. Her mum has always tried to keep her away from water, and one day when Emily starts swimming lessons in school she discovers why: She's half mermaid and her legs transform into a tail when she comes in contact with water! Emily discovers a whole new underwater world with many new friends, dangers and adventures. As a child, I loved mermaids. Ariel still is my favorite Disney princess and I always wanted to be a mermaid too, so this series was perfect for me!

3. The Wild Chicks by Cornelia Funke

This is an originally German series by popular author Cornelia Funke (Inkheart) about a group of girls who one day decide to form a gang, calling themselves the Wild Chicks. Trust me, it's not as weird as it sounds. Or maybe it is. These books are funny with many different characters who face relatable problems: family issues, school, first love. I loved this series as a girl and remember laughing out loud often while reading it! 

4. Pony Club Secrets Series by Stacy Greg

 This horse series follows a group of friends and their adventures in Pony Club, consisting of (but not limited to) competitions or caring for your own horse. There are also some mystery aspects about ghost ponies which I loved and which had some chills running down my spine! I was (and still am) a massive horse nerd so most books I read as a child were horse books. The picture shows the first four books in German.

5. Wings of Olympus by Kallie George

Part horse book, part greek mythology, this is a book I discovered and read only last year. This book is about the girl Pippa who gets chosen by the Greek Gods to participate in their race of winged horses. But Pippa has a lot to learn and we follow her to Olympus and get to know the other participants, follow their training and see Pippa's bond to her own pegasus grow. You can also learn some things about Greek mythology, so this book partly reminded me of the Percy Jackson series, but not in a bad way.

That's it for today's post! Even though these books and series are intended for children/middle grade readers (ages 10-12), I'd still recommend them because who doesn't like to escape the real world with some children's fiction from time to time? What were your favorite books as a child?
Happy reading and until next time,

~ Anni

4 comments:

  1. ive been considering watching heartland (but im inbetween 39ish shows lmao), but i didnt know it was based on books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't watched the show myself but I heard it's good, and there are some really beautiful landscape scenes :)

      Delete
  2. I watched Heartland and it’s really good. I just heard recently that they actually filmed it in Alberta, Canada... where I from. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh nice! I knew they filmed it in Canada, and wow you're lucky, it's a beautiful country!

      Delete